Wednesday, December 2, 2015

lonely.

It's that feeling
The one we run from
The empty cavern
We labor to fill
We drown it out
We turn away
Numb the pain
Ignore until

In the silence
We've acquired 
Something dies
Deep inside us
We can survive
But never thrive
With hearts hidden
Underneath a performance

Pretend away
It must be something else
Hunger
Exhaustion
Boredom
Or irritation
We lose ourselves
Exploring explainations

Something's missing
This I know
In my familiar mess
Please tell me I'm not alone
In my own loneliness
I have a hunch
Have you felt it too?
Surrounded by loved ones
Or alone in your room?

It aches
Demands a voice
Cries out 
Takes many forms
You may be timid
Bold and boisterous
Confident, or insecure
Lonely masked is lonely still

Just the same
We have this sickness
And we scrounge to find the cure
Don't believe me?
Put it to the test
Turn off your phone
Steal away
Let your many faces rest

In the stillness
Who are you? 
When all is said and done
Without your labels
Without your efforts
Do you matter to anyone?

Your family maybe
Friends surely care
But your heart beats
For so much more
The thoughts you think
The hurt you hide
The happiness you keep untold
Do you feel understood?

To be yourself
To just let down
To kick back
And know for sure
That to someone
You matter
Even behind closed doors

In apathy, in laziness
In passion, and in your dreams
In secrets kept, and secrets shared
In memories of mistakes you never told
In silence and expression
In victory and in defeat
In ambition and disappointment
Do you feel seen?

Fully known and fully loved
In the pretty and the ugly 
And the tidy and the muddy
Does anyone get me?
These are my tears in the night
The longing buried inside me

No significant other
No closest best friend
No success at work
Or goal met at the gym
Can satisfy my heart
Or fill me up to the brim
So, forgive my fairy tale confession
But, I need true love

I'm hungry for unconditional
It's my one need in disguise
Catching whiffs here and there
So often chasing lies
See, we search everything in sight
Hoping something holds the key
Enough evidence to drive us
But the source eludes our eyes

Will you imagine with me?
Will you dare to dream?
That your longing could be filled
By a source that you can't see?
An available connection
Night and day, Rain and shine
Affirmation that stays steady
Love that stands the test of time

Never abusive
Never selfish
Never distant
Or uninvolved
Never destrucitive
Never distracted
Never unconcerned
Or far off

Love that's untainted
Innocent and unspoiled
By the sharing of my heart
By the messiness of life
By the confusion of my mind
By the dirtiest secret
By the real me unveiled
By my greatest weakness

My heart is drenched
Satisfied
Put to rest
Full of peace
To think that I am loved
By one who really knows me

And not just loved
But by my side
This one promised to never leave
I feel the presence in my room
Strong arms envelope me

In the dark alone in bed
Nightmares trying to rob sleep
In the car on my way home
A rough day inside my head
In the personal victory
Significant to nobody but me
This is where I'm found
By a wonderful Somebody

It's simple
Though not easy
To open up my mouth
To call the name
To trust that I am heard
To believe that nothing's changed
To stake my claim upon this love
Even though I feel lonely

Still there
Still willing
Still safe
Still loving

"Trust Me" touches my ears
When I pause to listen
"You're not alone" calms my fears
Truth amidst my commotion 





"You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forever more." 
- Psalm 16:11

"As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake I shall be satisfied with your likeness." 
- Psalm 17:15

"For He satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul He fills with good things." - Psalm 107:9

"And my God will supply every need of yours according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." 
- Philippians 4:19

"I am the bread of life. He who comes to me shall never hunger, and he who believes in me shall never thirst." 
- John 6:35

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want."
- Psalm 23:1 


No comments:

Post a Comment