Saturday, December 26, 2015

legacy.

I can see you now
Standing in the waiting room
Seconds ticking by
In moments, I'd meet you

Did I worry you much?
When my arrival was too soon?
What went through your mind
When my tiny hand, you touched?

You had a life so full
And mine only just begun
You welcomed me home
And you whispered "You belong"

One day eclipsed by many
And the time marched on
Life accelerated
For your tiny little one

I wonder, did you beg
For some long days to pass quickly?
Or did you feel them fly
And wish for moments to tarry?

What did you dream for me
When I had yet to gain my own?
And what prayers passed your lips
With my name the category?

I didn't realize, I never knew
The cost that became Me
When you set aside yourself
And set me on your knee

Through the seasons, I grew taller
Independent and smarter
Living life through my own eyes
But still your very own daughter

The way you walked and talked
The way you loved, and battles you fought
These imprinted on my mind
I was influenced as well as taught

Studious and observant
You were my fascination
My heart knit to yours
By God's imagination

I have your eyes
Your love for words
And your subtle, funny quirks
Love it or hate it
It's obvious, I'm yours

Far from perfection
Mistakes made were common
But if a heart could be measured
Yours would outweigh them

The best gift you gave me
Was the gift of yourself
Your own life invested
In my success, In my health

On the sunniest days
Sharing joy and laughing hard
I cherish sweet memories
Family heirlooms in my heart

Your weakness, your faults
Made sufficient by grace
Where you just weren't enough
You pointed me towards His face

And there I found Him
Don't you see?
I was prepped for success
Through your example
Of rare humility

His hands and feet
Unconditional love
One step at a time
Supporting me on the journey

Holding tight
Grace to show
Praying hard
Letting go

This is where my heart struggles to express
How much it meant to me
To watch you keep on loving Him
Through the ugly and the mess

This human legacy
Broken and bittersweet
Your two lives tied together
In the hands of His Majesty

On the good days and the bad
One thing never changed
"He is with us" you said,
And steady faith remained

A legacy is learned
For everyone, inevitable
Passed on and played out
Life after life unfolds

What you hold is what you were given
Good or bad
It's yours the same
Formed by another's decisions

Yours was interrupted
By a beautiful adoption
His children now
Fresh legacy bestowed

Beloved, chosen
Treasured, transformed
Accepted, fulfilled
Vessels of hope and redemption

The legacy I have
Is the legacy you gave
I hold it with open hands
And I praise the One who saves

So hear me out, mom and dad
From the tippy top of my head
To the bottom of my heart
And every mushy sentimental feeling in between

Thank you for this legacy
It's one I wouldn't trade
Because now, redemption is my story
And your own paved the way


No comments:

Post a Comment