Saturday, March 5, 2016

another step.


I put in my headphones and tuned out the world
Excitement fueled my stride as I took to the road
I felt the stress slide off my shoulders
The tension slipped away
Thank you, Jesus for providing a beautiful day

I’ve always liked adventure
Or, so that’s what I’ve claimed
Through steady breathing I whisper
C’mon Lord, I’m ready, lead the way!

With Your praises on my tongue
With love rooted in my heart
I feel confident, secure and strong
Thinking to myself, a perfect start

“Step, step” is the rhythm
God, you are so good!
My arms swing to the beat
Music playing joy's anthem on repeat

Thoughts wander to my day
To my life, To my heart
My smile fades away
And lines of worry take it’s place

I could have done better
Tried harder, Spoke sweeter
I could have loved You more
Paid more attention to Your leading

Shoes on the pavement suddenly sound annoying
I check my pace
Slower than normal
And the discouragement is settling

Jesus, help me! I need you!
I don’t want to keep going
The road is so long
And I’m so afraid of stumbling

Each step feels like failure
I’m tired
This isn’t fun
I don’t know what you want from me
But I’m ready to be done


“Trust Me,” You say
Just take another step
You don’t know what’s ahead
Please, let Me lead the way


Choosing trust instead of doubt
Relief boosts my stride
Thank you, Father for loving me
My mind calms as I abide

For an hour I’ve been running
Or at least that’s how it feels
I look down and start to wonder
Would this be easier with new shoes?

Mile one slips into the past
And I reach for encouragement
Considering your words
To Your strong hand I hold fast

The road begins to climb
But my pace remains steady
Up ahead I spot another
She’s out running just like me

But wait, we aren’t the same
She’s built for speed
Her strides are long
And suddenly, I feel quite slow

Before I know it I’ve evaluated her
Looked her up and down, head to toe
I kick it up a notch
In my subconscious, a new goal

“Don’t sprint,” You say
Just take another step
You don’t know what’s ahead
Please, let Me lead the way


Choosing to ignore instead of heeding You
Competition boosts my stride
Father, look what I can do!
I’ve gained a lot of ground (Well, isn’t that true?)

The hill continues to climb
The top is out of sight
My legs begin to burn
I’m irritated with my lack of might

C’mon, Jo! You can do this!
Chiding weakness within
I coax myself to keep pushing
"You’re stronger! You can win!"

Rounding the corner, Miss Competition is gone
But the hill just keeps climbing
As if my headphones became muted
I no longer hear joy themed songs

I don’t think I can do this
The frustration burns my eyes
Like a cold, sudden downpour
Fear seeps right through my skin

“Will you trust Me?” You say
Just take another step
You don’t know what’s ahead
Please, let Me lead the way


Choosing faith to fuel my strength
Hope compels my stride
Painfully slow, but it’s steady
I begin up the incline

But halfway, that’s it
I’m done
I don’t have one more breath
Sorry, God,

I won’t take another step.

In a heap along the road
I decide to sit
I’m angry and I’m cold
Most of all, I’m disappointed

This isn’t what I thought when You said,
Will You run with Me?
I’ve done my best, can’t you see?
And it’s just not worth it!

On the other side of that hill
I know there is probably another
And what if it's too big!?
I don't have strength to muster

I might slip and fall
Or veer off into the ditch
You don't understand!
What if I can't finish?

I look foolish, I know
So please don’t tell me how I’m wrong
My mind swimming with despair
Silence blankets my praise songs

Abba, where are You?
Tears falling in the rain
I don’t know what to do
Nothing feels the same

Your arms wrap around me
We sit beside the road
Baby, girl, remember?
I said it’s OK to go slow.


“Trust Me” You say
Just take another step
You don’t know what’s ahead
So, let Me lead the way


On my feet again
You lift my chin and brush me off
At my own immaturity
Escapes a sorry sounding laugh

Come to think of it
Haven’t I seen this hill before?
Another time, another place?
None of this is new with You
Struggle, elation, victory, and pain
Circling my mountain
I look up to seek Your face
Calling to mind reasons I love you
God, I stand amazed

You are so good!
Praise slips from my lips
Your patience astounds me
Mercy heals me
and Grace builds confidence

I run to You and for You
I run with You, my Lord
Humbled again by who You are
The original goal restored

Choosing to believe You
Another step is all I can do
But it’s all You’ve asked of me
So yes, Lord, I trust You


Letting go of false perfection
Burned by my own control
Each step moves me closer
But there’s a long way to go
Up ahead in my run
The road is winding to who knows where
Another step that I don’t want to take
So, can consistency become new shoes for my feet?

Will You help me? I keep asking
Will you trust Me? You reply
And so we’ll continue
Till I’ve crossed the finish line



“Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted.” -Hebrews 12:1-3
“Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.” -Romans 5:1-5
“Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.” -James 1:2-4
“Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith— that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead.
Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” -Philippians 3:8-14

No comments:

Post a Comment