Tuesday, March 1, 2016

show me.

Sinking into my seat
I breathed out a sigh

Discouraged, definitely
Enthusiasm deflated
And frustration spoke its piece

“God, if only I could say it
In a way they’d understand
If only they would get it
If they’d reach out
And take Your hand

I could shout it from the rooftop
I could scream it in their ear
It’s funny how people listen
But they don’t actually hear

Years of walls fortified
Layers of defenses
Brick by brick laid to rest
Refuse to come undone
In one monumental day.”

My heart swelled to bursting
My tears flowed freely
I had seen pain in cold, hard eyes
Masked by years of pretending

Alive in pulse only
In reality numb
Dead to truly feeling
Who could blame them?
Surely not me
Once queen of pretending

“I guess it hurts so much,”
I whispered in the calm of the storm
“Because I know the truth…
The deepest fears
Meet their match
Faced head on with You”

“Come here, child”
Becoming still to draw near,

At His voice I halted
“I’d like to give you a voice
But first, lend me your ear:

I know your dreams
I see your goals
Your desires are not foreign
But before you take flight
I need to warn you of a danger


In your pursuit to make Me known
Don’t to Me become a stranger


You want to be great
Get ‘big things’ done for Me
You want to be remembered
As bowing humbly at My feet

Set the world on fire
With a passion for My name
Sacrifice your comfort
In bringing Me fame

These things are not wrong
I love your passion
And your zeal makes Me smile
But acts of service for Me
Without intimacy
Don’t go
one single mile

Do you really want to show Me?
To a world broken by pain?
Then come here
Get to know Me
You won’t walk away unchanged

How can you expect to show them
The truth, the life, the way
Without these essential needs
Met in your own day?

Don’t be too busy for Me
And then their burdens
Take time to carry
That isn’t what I meant
When I said “Come to Me
Those who are weary”

Whose disciple were you first?
Have you forgotten you have cares?
Don’t be afraid to cast your burdens
I’m not a God of the masses
I’m the God who meets you here

Show them!
Show them who I am!
A Good Father
Faithful Lover
and Intimate Friend

Full of kindness
Always perfect
Despising evil
Bringing justice
Delighting in the truth

You are right, little one
They desperately need to know me
But don’t get out it out of order
Come to Me first
Say “Abba, show me!”

His voice was gentle, but firm
It took my breath away
And it struck me how easy
To let this one truth
Slip away

All the sudden, clarity
The value realized at once
Not one moment in the stillness
Not one lonely prayer wasted
Investing in our relationship
Is of utmost importance
No higher cause
No greater deed
Than to pour my love on Him
He get my best and my all
My heart belongs to Him

Fresh tears streaked my face
My eyes lit with understanding
My heart stirred by desperation

“I do long to show them who You are
But more than that,
I want to know You
So will you show me who You are?
Just like them,



I need to know You”







"Be still and know that I am God"-Psalm 46:10



"Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent." -John 17:3



"Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." -John 15:4-5



“I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me—  just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep." -John 10:14-15



 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength' The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these." -Mark 12:14-15



"...you have perseverance and have endured for My name's sake, and have not grown weary. But I have this against you, that you have left your first love.
'Therefore remember from where you have fallen, and repent and do the deeds you did at first..." -Revelation 2:3-5

"No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest.
For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more.”
-Hebrews 8:11-12

No comments:

Post a Comment