Monday, November 14, 2016

steadfast, my love


I see you curled up in despair
In the shadow, in the night
Your hope is all but spent
Sick of waiting for the light


You heard Me loud and clear
When I first spoke that word to you
“Be steadfast, my love”
In the storm, keep the truth


Your determination, I value
Stubbornness has served you well
But, you couldn’t pull this one together
Or by your might, this giant fell


Your “try harder” feels busted
Your arms have grown weary
Fighting off discouragement
Every step forward feels heavy


“What’s wrong with me?”
In your mind repeated questions
Why does joy seem so distant?
Why is faith growing dim?


Your confusion breaks My heart
As you brace for defeat
Be still and cease striving
Lay back against Me and breathe


You think you already know
And you’re afraid to draw near
You’ve avoided being with Me
For fear of what you might hear


“Be steadfast, my love”
Was my last instruction to you
At the time, exhilarating
But now, far from how you feel 


You know how you “should” act

But, I know something you don’t

Your resolve to “do right” crumbles
If trust in Me, the waves erode


Are you good and ready now
To set them all aside?
Your preconceived ideas
Of how you look through My eyes?


I saw you “Count it all joy”
And I heard your tired praise
Every hard day that you thanked Me
Every desperate glance My way


I saw this storm brewing
And I saw your foot slip
I saw the pressure rising
And I saw your “Steadfast” give


“Be steadfast, my love”
Was never meant a lonely burden
And the steadfast I ask of you
Doesn’t equal perfection


Every moment you’ve chosen
To lift your eyes to Me
Is victory worth celebrating
On the pages of your story


“That’s all well and good,” you say
But what of moments of defeat?
When your eyes fell away
And from the path, strayed your feet?


Did you forget who I am?
Lean in and hear your Abba out
“Steadfast” you think you know
But, you’ve forgotten My heart


Long before you took My hand
Before you chose to endure
I had chosen to love you 
And that love for you, is sure


Did you know that when you whispered
“I want to give up”
It didn’t tip Me off my throne,
It only tightened My grip?


“Be steadfast, my love”
I had whispered in truth
But it was only Part One
Of what I had for you


Though your “steadfast” looks messy
Though your strength grows weary
Though you want to give up
And you get your feet get dirty


“Steadfast, my love”
Forever will be
Though you falter and fail
My love remains steady


No matter what you do
You will never change my love
So lift your eyes to Me again
I’ll hold you “steadfast, my love”

-

“When I thought, ‘My foot slips,’ Your steadfast love, O Lord, held me up.” -Psalm 94:18


 “The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in his way; though he fall he shall not be cast headlong, for the Lord upholds his hand.” Psalm 37:23-24

 “But I will sing of your strength; I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning. For you have been to me a fortress and a refuge in the day of my distress. O my Strength, I will sing praises to You, for You, O God, are my fortress, the God who shows me steadfast love.” -Psalm 59:16-17

 “Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.” -James 1:2-4

“Behold, we consider those blessed who remained steadfast. You have heard of the steadfastness of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, how the Lord is compassionate and merciful.” -James 5:11

“Behold, I go forward, but He is not there, and backward, but I do not perceive Him; on the left hand when He is working, I do not behold Him; He turns to the right hand, but I do not see Him. But He knows the way that I take; when He has tried me I shall come out as gold. My foot has held fast to His steps; I have kept His ways and have not turned aside. I have not departed from the commandment of His lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my portion of food.” -Job 23:8-12

 “When my life was fainting away, I remembered the Lord, and my prayer came to you, into your holy temple. Those who pay regard to vain idols forsake their hope of steadfast love.” -Jonah 2:7-8

“But now thus says the Lord, He who created you, O Jacob, He who formed you, O Isreal; ‘Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are Mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through the fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you.” -Isaiah 43:1

“My eyes are ever towards the Lord for He will pluck my feet out of the net.” -Psalm 25:15

“Contend, O Lord, with those who contend against me; fight against those who fight against me! Take hold of shield and buckler and rise for my help! Draw the spear and javelin against my pursuers! Say to my soul, I am your salvation!” -Psalm 35:1-3


“The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. ‘The Lord is my portion,’ says my soul, ‘therefore I will hope in Him. The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him. It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.” -Lamentations 3:22-26

No comments:

Post a Comment